Keto Herb Roasted Chicken with Veggies is great for the holidays, but we eat it all the time around here.
Makes 8 servings
6 Net carbs/serving
6-7 lb. Whole chicken
1/2 C. Butter unsalted
1 Tbsp. Chopped fresh thyme
1 Tbsp. Chopped fresh rosemary
1 Tbsp. Chopped fresh sage
Thyme, rosemary and sage sprigs
2 tsp. Minced garlic
1 Onion quartered
3 Stalks celery trimmed
Salt and pepper to taste
3 Medium sized turnips peeled and chopped
20 Small radishes cut in half with the ends removed
1 lb. Brussels sprouts trimmed
1 Tbsp olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Remove the neck and any innards from the cavity of the chicken.
- Fill the cavity of the chicken with a whole quartered onion, 3 stalks of celery and sprigs of fresh thyme, rosemary and sage
- Place the chicken breast side up in a deep sided roasting pan or baking dish.
- Massage the softened butter into the chicken's skin.
- Mix together the chopped thyme, rosemary and sage in a bowl, and then massage it all over the outside of the chicken as well. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Massage the minced garlic into the chicken skin, and then bake for 30 minutes.
- Check the chicken at the end of 30 minutes, and add a little water to the bottom of the pan to keep it from sticking and burning if needed. Place the chicken back into the oven for an additional 30 minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the oven. Place the chopped radishes, turnips and the trimmed brussels sprouts into a mixing bowl, and combine them with the olive oil as well as salt and pepper to taste. Arrange the vegetables around the chicken in the pan or baking dish. Add a bit more water to the bottom of the pan or dish if needed.
Note: If the chicken is starting to get too dark on top, you can place aluminum foil over it for the rest of the baking time. Continue to bake the chicken until it reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees or more, and the vegetables are softened.