Makes 8 servings
6 Net carbs/serving
4 C. Fresh broccoli florets
1 Tbsp. Olive oil
1 Tbsp. Butter
1/2 C. Red onion
4 1/2 C. Chicken broth
1 C. Heavy whipping cream
2 tsp. Minced garlic
2 C. Shredded cheddar cheese
1 tsp. Dried basil
Salt and pepper to taste
Xanthan gum (optional)
1. Heat the butter and olive oil in a deep pot or skillet over medium-high heat.
2. Once heated, add in the red onions and cook for 2-3 minutes until beginning to soften.
3. Add the minced garlic to the skillet, and cook for 30 more seconds, stirring often.
4. Toss the broccoli florets into the skillet, and add in the chicken broth.
5. Mix in salt and pepper to taste as well as the dried basil.
6. Bring the mixture to a low boil, and cook down the broccoli until it is very tender.
7. Use a potato masher or an immersion blender to break the broccoli up into small pieces.
8. Turn the heat down to medium, and mix in the heavy whipping cream as well as the shredded cheddar cheese. Stir to combine until the cheese has melted.
9. Continue to cook down the soup until the liquid has reached your desired consistency. If needed, a small amount of xanthan gum can be sprinkled on the soup to help thicken it further.