Keto Broccoli Cheddar Soup is an easy yet hearty recipe using broccoli, cheese, chicken broth, and other pantry staples.
Quick, delicious, and perfect for those chilly winter nights! Soup in under 25 minutes.
Table of contents
As a medical assistant, our clinic had a go-to for ordering food. I don’t know if all clinics love Panera Bread, but ours did.
Even the pharmaceutical reps would order every meal or treat from PB. During this time, I ate a lot of sandwiches and Panera’s broccoli cheddar soup.
Thankfully, I love the food. When I’m not on the keto diet, I will eat almost everything on the menu.
My love for Panera Bread soups inspired this keto broccoli soup recipe! If you’re like me and make large batches of soup, check out this post on How To Store Soups and Stews.
Low Carb Broccoli Cheese Soup Ingredients
- Fresh broccoli florets: These are the main vegetable component of the soup and provide a good source of vitamins and minerals. It’s important to use fresh broccoli for the best taste and texture. You’ll need four cups of broccoli florets.
- Olive oil: One tablespoon to sauté the onion and garlic, providing a healthy source of monounsaturated fats.
- Butter: One tablespoon of richness and flavor to the soup.
- Red onion: Provides flavor and aromatics to the soup, adding a slightly sweet and pungent taste. We will use 1/2 cup and you can choose the onion of your choice. I usually prefer sweet onions.
- Chicken broth: Provides the soup’s liquid base and helps build flavor. 4 1/2 cups of full sodium (organic when possible). You can also use vegetable broth if you prefer.
- Heavy whipping cream: Adds richness and creaminess to the soup, contributing to its indulgent texture. Today we are adding 1 cup of whipping cream.
- Minced garlic: Adds depth of flavor to the soup and enhances the savory taste. Two teaspoons of fresh minced garlic.
- Shredded cheddar cheese: Provides the cheddar flavor in the soup and helps to thicken the liquid. Two cups of cheddar, I prefer sharp cheddar cheese, but some people don’t like the tangy taste. Try cream cheese for a creamy twist on the classic recipe! You can purchase pre-shredded cheese to save time.
- Dried basil: A dried herb that adds flavor and aroma to the soup. You’ll need one teaspoon.
- Salt and black pepper: Used to season the soup to taste, balancing the flavors and bringing out the best in each ingredient. Use as much or as little as you like. Sometimes I hold off on adding this while cooking so each person can choose how much to use when it’s served.
- Xanthan gum (optional): A gluten-free thickener that can help thicken the soup but is unnecessary for the recipe.
Keto Broccoli Cheddar Soup Directions
1. Start by heating a little oil (olive or avocado oil) and melting butter in a deep pot or skillet over medium-high heat. I hate doing dishes, so I always use the soup pot from start to finish.
2. Once the oil is hot, you will add your red onions and cook for 2-3 minutes until they start to soften. If you have extra time, cook your onions on low until they caramelize before adding your next ingredient. This gives the onions a sweeter taste.
3. When your onions are ready, add your minced garlic and cook for Add the minced garlic 30 more seconds, stirring often.
4. Now, you can toss in your fresh broccoli florets and mix them around in the garlic and onion mixture until they are well coated. Then add the chicken broth. Again if you have the time before adding the liquid, you can lightly brown the broccoli. This is a personal taste preference, of course.
5. Once you have your “soup” started, you can add the dried basil and salt and pepper to taste. As mentioned above, I leave mine out and let my guests decide how much they want to use. This can also be important if you serve someone trying to track their sodium intake.
6. Bring the mixture to a low boil, and cook down the broccoli until it is very tender.
7. Use a potato masher, an immersion blender, or food processor to break the broccoli into small pieces. I find that a blender usually works best for a creamy texture but use what you have.
8. Turn the heat down to medium heat and mix the heavy whipping cream and the shredded cheddar cheese. Stir to combine until the cheese has melted. Make sure the soup is NOT boiling when you add the dairy products.
9. Continue to cook down the soup on low heat until the liquid has reached your desired consistency. If needed, sprinkle a small amount of xanthan gum on the soup to help thicken it further.
Try this recipe with different cheeses if you want to mix it up! Cream cheese, Colby jack, pepper jack, or mild cheddar.
Throw everything in a slow cooker (except heavy cream and cheese) and let it cook until you’re ready to blend it up. Then place it in a pot and add cream and cheese. You can probably also make this in an instant pot, but I won’t lie; they scare me. I’m no help there!
For a thick soup, you can add xantham gum or more broccoli.
Store leftovers in the fridge in an airtight container. I don’t like freezing soups, but you can if you like.
Keto Broccoli Cheese Soup Recipe Nutrition
This cheesy soup is perfect for the ketogenic diet because it’s low in calories, high in fat, and has moderate protein.
Makes eight servings
6 Net carbs/serving
Calories: 291 kcal
Fat: 24 grams
Sodium: 793 mg
Protein: 10 grams
Net Carbs: 6 grams of net carbs
Printable Homemade Broccoli Cheddar Soup Recipe Card
- 4 C. Fresh broccoli florets
- 1 Tbsp. Olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. Butter
- 1/2 C. Red onion
- 4 1/2 C. Chicken broth
- 1 C. Heavy whipping cream
- 2 tsp. Minced garlic
- 2 C. Shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 tsp. Dried basil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Xanthan gum (optional)
- Heat the butter and olive oil in a deep pot or skillet over medium-high heat.
- Once heated, add in the red onions and cook for 2-3 minutes until beginning to soften.
- Add the minced garlic to the skillet, and cook for 30 more seconds, stirring often.
- Toss the broccoli florets into the skillet, and add in the chicken broth.
- Mix in salt and pepper to taste as well as the dried basil.
- Bring the mixture to a low boil, and cook down the broccoli until it is very tender.
- Use a potato masher or an immersion blender to break the broccoli up into small pieces.
- Turn the heat down to medium, and mix in the heavy whipping cream as well as the shredded cheddar cheese. Stir to combine until the cheese has melted.
- Continue to cook down the soup until the liquid has reached your desired consistency. If needed, a small amount of xanthan gum can be sprinkled on the soup to help thicken it further.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 291Total Fat: 24gSaturated Fat: 13gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 68mgSodium: 793mgNet Carbohydrates: 6gFiber: 3gProtein: 10g
When you make these recipes in your home your nutrition facts will be different from mine. Please keep track of the products you use so you can get the best idea of what your actual nutrition facts are. I am not a doctor. Please talk to your doctor before starting any diet.
If you enjoy this Keto Broccoli Cheddar Soup recipe, please share it with your friends! You can also choose a different keto recipe here.